Friday, May 19, 2017

Onto Maize

Maize is used as both chum
and as a hook bait. After
preparing it, store it
in zip lock bags and
refrigerate.
This is one of four fish landed in a couple
of hours this morning on maize.  In this case,
two kernels are fished off the hair rig.
Several cans of sweet corn sit on a shelf in my basement, unused.  It has been several weeks since I used sweet corn. There are just too many pests (turtles, sunfish, horned pout) around right now that can easily take the bait off the hair. So, I've moved onto the more durable maize. I'll save those cans of sweet corn until late fall.
Maize is really a larger, harder na more durable corn than sweet corn.  Before using it, it must be prepared.  I buy my maize in a dried form at Tractor Supply stores.  It comes in 50 lb. bags and sells for about 9 bucks.  It is listed as "whole corn" in the animal feed section of the store. To prepare it, I put a good amount in a large pot and add water.  Just let it sit overnight or for several hours in the water.  Then, boil it.  Once the water is boiling, set a timer for exactly 35 minutes. When it's done, I let it sit for a while since this is when the maize soaks up a lot of water.  Finally, I package it in zip lock bags that I put in the refrigerator until I am ready to use it.  It will now be used as chum or a hook bait.
I got out for a couple of hours this morning and landed 4 nice fish.  I got them all on maize as I used two kernels on a short hair. I also use maize a lot in combination with artificial corn.  That has been a big fish producer for me in the last few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment