Thursday, November 30, 2017

Winter Tactics Getting It Done

Sweetcorn on the hair did
the job yesterday.
I got out yesterday, and for the first time in a while I was able to catch more than one carp. I actually landed three carp and had a couple of more hits. It's been tough going this month. For the first time I employed what I call winter tactics to catch these fish. Here's a review of those tactics:
1. Go with sweet corn- The pests are gone and my sweetcorn is back.  Carp really go for this bait, and for the first time in a long time I went with two kernels on the hair rig and it paid off.
2. Go small- Yesterday I went back to using #8 hooks with short hairs.  I did not use a method ball.  I also used the lightest sinker I could to hold bottom and cast. Smaller and lighter is better when the fish are sluggish in the cold and hard to catch.
This was one of three mirror carp landed yesterday.
Note the gorgeous golden colors, something we find
in fish caught in cold water of winter.
3. Move around to find the fish- I almost gave up yesterday as I had to fish four different spots before I found anything.  Carp tend to travel in small or large groups in the winter, and it is often a case of finding where those groups of fish are lurking. I rarely stay in a spot more than an hour if I am not getting anything.
4. Don't expect any screaming runs- The fish are sluggish on the take at this time and usually just keep tapping away.  Pull when you see the rod tip bouncing.  Note that they are also very sluggish on the fight in cold water.
5. Try to fish the warmest part  of the day- I did get these three carp in late afternoon, the warmest part of the day when fish are most active at this time of year.


No comments:

Post a Comment