Saturday, May 19, 2018

Competing in the CAG National Big 4

My biggest common  so far is this 29 lb. 2 oz. fish. In this
tournament you must submit a photo with the fish, the scale
and the logo.
The Carp Anglers Group is now running one of their signature national tournaments.  It is the Spring Big 4.  From May 1 until June 15 about 50 of the best carp anglers from all over the country compete in this event.  The way this runs is that you enter your 4 biggest carp by weight and the total becomes your point total.You also must submit proof which amounts to a photo of the fish, the scale used (in the photo) and the CAG logo (in the photo).
I enter this event every year.  My goal is always to try to get to 100 lbs. (average of 25 lbs. a fish (by the way.....not easy to do)), and to attempt to score in the top ten.   Every time I have entered this event I have made the top ten.  My best finish has been second place. Currently, I am sitting in second place with a total of 116 lbs. ( fish of 31/8, 29/2, 28/14 and 26/8).  It is still very early in the tournament, and a lot will change in the next few weeks.  But, I am hoping also to up my total. A couple of more 30's would be great!
We have 5 RI CAG members who signed up for this event.  They include Todd Richer, Bob White, Manny Dias, Tony Carvalho and myself. All of these guys are veteran carp fishermen who know what they are doing.  All of them have caught many big carp and are capable of a top ten finish. We all just need a little bit of luck!

1 comment: