Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Hot and Steamy

This good slize mirror that's coming ashore
was one of ten carp landed on this hot and
steamy day.
It's been more than the weather that has been hot in the last few days.  The carp fishing has been equally hot for me.
Today was a steam bath, but the carp were still hitting.  I went out in the morning for a two hour session and came away with 7 fish. Carp, just like us, like the cool shade on these hot and steamy days.  I was sitting under a shady tree and fishing right along the shade line in a pond, a great location to try on these hot, sunny days.  That's where the fish were holed up.  I tossed in some corn when I got there, and the fish came around in no time.  I was using plastic artificial corn on the hair rig since my chum also attracted a bunch of sun turtles.  The carp will hit the plastic corn, but the clever turtles are not fooled!
Later on in the evening I went out right before dark for an hour or so.  I landed three good size carp on freelined mulberries.  Once again, I was in the shade of a mulberry tree that was dropping berries. The carp were right there.
Carp are some of the most adaptable fish in freshwater. They will feed on these hot and steamy July days when the water temperatures in shallow ponds get  up into the low eighties.  These same fish will also feed in December when ice hugs the shoreline and water temperatures are barely 35 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment