Sunday, October 28, 2018

Not a Fan of High Water

In this photo that I took today, these are flooded woods
along the Blackstone River.  The main river is over a hundred
yards away from where I am standing! River waters are near
impossible to fish right now in RI. 
First it was the severe cold and the dropping water temperatures that put a crimp in the October carp fishing.  Now, it's VERY high water due to all the rain in the last two days. It's turning out to be an October to forget here in RI.
I went out scouting around the Blackstone River today.  Forget it.  In most places the water was in the woods.  In one spot that I checked out,  the water at my feet was about 100 yards from the main river! Many of the ponds are also way higher than normal.  Scott's Pond near my house is the highest I have ever seen it in the fall with no shoreline access to fish.
During these times of high water, many carp will actually move into flooded wooded areas to feed where the food is abundant. They are impossible to catch when in these spots. I've seen this many times in both ponds and rivers.
So, here's what I am hoping for in the coming weeks.  A warm-up would be great along with dry weather.  I know it will take a few days for the rivers to recede to a fishable level here in RI. In the meantime, small ponds remain your best bet to catch carp here in RI.

No comments:

Post a Comment