Thursday, February 7, 2019

New Bait Discovery.....Wild Onion Bulbs

These wild onion bulbs were sticking
out of the soil.  Could they be an
effective bait?
Man, I made a major discovery yesterday while carp fishing.  I was fishing my usual one kernel of artificial corn but doing very little on it.  I landed just one carp.  Then, as I went to move my bag, I noticed a round object sticking out of the dirt.  It was a wild onion bulb. On closer inspection I saw several of these bulbs which were exposed because some of the topsoil along the bank had washed away with the recent flooding.These white with a little pink colored bulbs were just the right size to thread onto my hair rig and they had a strong odor that I hoped the carp would go for.  Heck, if they hit garlic flavored stuff, why not this.
This carp was landed on a hair rigged wild onion bulb. This
bait landed many more fish yesterday, proving its
effectiveness.
I knew from past experience that carp will hit just about any seeds, bulbs, nuts, etc. that naturally exist in their environment. So, why not these bulbs?
To make a long story short, I landed 8 carp on these bulbs as the fish keyed right in on this bait.  I was using these bulbs on one outfit.  The other outfit had the white artificial corn.  That produced just 2 carp. So, on this day, the onion bulbs clearly outfished my hot bait of recent weeks.


1 comment:

  1. If it works, it works! It makes a lot of sense that carp would key into a bait that is naturally occuring in the riparian zones. I'm sure floods regularly wash those bulbs right onto the carps' dinner plates.

    ReplyDelete