Saturday, November 20, 2021

A Lot of Searching Pays Off

 

This mirror is one of 17 carp landed in the last
two days. Prior to that, fishing was slow.

I had been having only a fair November up until two days ago. I've fished a lot in November hitting many of the spots that had paid off in recent years according to my logs. Those places that were so good last year and the year before gave up only a fish here and a fish there.  So, I did what I normally do during times of marginal fishing.  I started looking elsewhere, trying out numerous places, and it has really paid off.  In two days of hot fishing (17 carp landed) I landed the equivalent what I caught on the other 18 days.

Carp fishing is really time consuming. You often have to turn over a lot of rocks to find what you are looking for. For that reason, a lot of fishermen get frustrated with it. Yes, it's a lot of work if you do it right. But, that hard work often pays off.

November fishing, traditionally, is a hit-or-miss deal.  It's a transition period.  The water is cooling rapidly, the fish are turning sluggish and the weather is all over the place. I find the month to be quite challenging to find any consistency.

All the fish I landed in the last couple of days fell for my combo bait of maize and a pale pink, pop-up, artificial corn all fished on the hair rig. I may switch to sweet corn this week which is a more effective choice of bait in cold weather.  With many of the pests disappearing, the sweet corn should stay on the hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment