Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tricks for Hair Rigging Corn






I have been experimenting on how I hair rig my corn. Most fishermen do it the traditional way. They usually put the baiting needle through the middle of three kernels of corn (see photo at right). It works, but sometimes the fish get a bit clever and figure out something's wrong, and they refuse to take. That's when the fisherman has to be even more clever than the fish and mix things up.



Here's another way I do it. Pass the needle through the sides of two kernels. That allows the corn to lay flat on the bottom in a more natural position (see photo at left). Sometimes that works!



Here is yet another way I do it, a way that is becoming the most popular way I like to do it. I pass the needle through the side of the first kernel and then through the center of the second one, kind of an offset set up (see photo at right). It seems to be the most effective way to lure fish into hitting the corn and has really made a difference for me this season. I have also concluded that many times two kernels of corn are more effective for hits as well as catches than three kernels. This is especially true when using a method ball ahead of your offering.



No comments:

Post a Comment