Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Corn....The Right Flavor???


I've always said that flavored corn is very effective to use. Only problem is that you have to be using the right flavor. Flavored corn can be a blessing or a curse. Pick the right flavor and you are in. Pick the wrong flavor and it won't get a lick.

So, what are the right choices. First off, these are my picks for fishing here in RI. What works here may not work in other parts of NE. In the early to mid springtime (up until the end of April), I like to go with fruity flavors. I used to fish a lot of "tutti-fruitti" but in recent years, my best producer is Big Time Banana from the Bait Stop. I also fooled around a lot with pineapple flavors this spring and that did work also, though not as good as the banana. By the time the warm weather arrives, banana loses its appeal. Starting in May I like to go with a couple of flavors. The alcohol based flavors from the Bait Stop such as Wild Whiskey and Carpquila are good producers. Last year I had exceptional luck on a homemade Pineapple Skyy Vodka mix (nip poured into a jar of boiled feed corn). Pineapple in general is a hot summer flavor as is Scopex. In past years, I liked Scopex Pescaviva sold by Wacker Baits. In the fall, the alcohol flavors continue to produce as do the pineapple flavors. Anise is also a good fall flavor.

This is just a general guide and nothing is set in stone when it comes to flavors. You may have to cahnge often to find the right flavor. I also seem to discover a new flavor every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment