Friday, October 8, 2010

Fall Fishing: Nothing like Springtime

Air temperatures and water temperatures are about the same but that is where the comparison of spring and fall RI carp fishing ends.
Fall fishing is nowhere near as productive as spring. In the spring the fish awaken after a long winter and are really on the feed. They are aggressive. They are also in the prespawn mode, often bunching up in large groups. It all makes for some incredible action at times.
I find fall fish to be moody. Sometimes I will blank for days even though I may see a few fish jumping (but not feeding). Ponds that are so productive in the spring are often dead in the fall. It makes you wonder where the fish are. However, I have taken some of my biggest RI carp in the fall. Just the other night I had a low to mid twenty pounder that was fat as a hog. It was my largest fish in months from RI.
So, fall fishing is what it is. It's a slow time, but nevertheless, a time in which a real trophy can be caught. I plan to continue my RI carp fishing until the ice arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment