Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Potential RI CAG Mirror Record Released

Today I landed the biggest mirror carp that I ever caught here in RI. I am guessing that it was in the mid 20's which would have made it the CAG record. I was in a spot where I never expected to catch a fish even close to this large so I had no camera, no scale and there was no witness. You can see I was really prepared for this. I could have kept the fish and taken it home but in my opinion it was more valuable released than being kept for the record. It was also filled with eggs.
The state does not keep records for mirror carp. It only has one official record for carp in general (mirror or common). However, the CAG does keep records for both mirror carp and commons for each state. My friend, Jeff Allard, has the RI CAG mirror record at 23.5 lbs. In order to get your name in the CAG record books, you do need a picture and it has to be weighed on a decent scale and you must be a CAG member. They also suggest you have a witness.
So, the morale of this story is to be prepared because you never know when a record fish will come your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment