Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hot Fishing with Mulberries





In the last two days I have abandoned sweet corn and boilies on the hair rig in favor of freelined mulberries. The mulberries are dropping big time right now throughout New England. If you know of a tree along a shoreline or riverbank, the carp should be below the tree big time scooping up every berry they can find. They are like ravenous eaters at a Chinese buffet on half price Wednesdays.


If you plan on fishing with mulberries, you need to find a tree along the water's edge. This does not work if you pick berries miles from the pond and transport them there to fish. The fish must be conditioned to eat them. Freelining is the best way to fish these. I use a #8 Tiemco hook that is tied directly to the end of my line (see photo). The berry is impaled and cast. If you want the berry to sink just squeeze it a bit. The fish will usually hit as soon as the berry hits the water. These mulberries are so good that in the last two mornings I have landed 10 large mirrors (see photo of one of them) while freelining mulberries in some of my secret spots.

1 comment:

  1. I fished the Charles river in Cambridge last week and saw a mulberry tree. The fruit weren't quite ripe, and there was no sign of carp under the tree. I may have to go back and give it a try again.

    ReplyDelete