Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Anatomy of a Hair Rig

On the last post a reader asked about rigs.  I use only one type of rig, what most would call a standard hair rig.  The only thing I vary about this rig is the sinker.  I generally use a one ounce "no roll" sinker that I make myself when fishing ponds or rivers with a slow current.  In river with a fast current I might use sinkers of 2 or 3 oz.
The hair rig I use is made with 50 lb. test Power Pro braided line.  I like red line, but others use the green color with equal success.  Here is the video link on how to make the hair rig by tying a knotless knot: http://ricarpfishing.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-hair-rigs-option2.html
One key here is to make the hooklink or leader short from 3-5 inches in length. The other key is to make the loop (called the hair) in the hair rig the right length.  I like it dangling about 1/8 inch off the back of the hook when bait is added.  That length will be determined by how much bait you want to add to your loop.  A large boilie will need a longer hair than two kernels of corn. For hooks, I like an Umpqua Tiemco 2457 hook when fishing for small to medium size carp (under 20 lbs.).
The diagram of  my rig is below.  You can double click the picture for a larger view.

1 comment:

  1. I can't emphasize enough how much my carp angling has improved since absorbing Dave's advice on hooks. That Umpqua Tiempo 2457 is absolutely DEADLY. Nothing gets away from it...

    ReplyDelete