Friday, September 20, 2013

Stealthy Approach Works

This is one of several carp landed today while using
a stealthy approach in a "small", shallow location.
I had an interesting day of fishing today.  I fished in a spot today in which I suddenly came upon a group of carp feeding in close  to shore. As soon as I spotted them, they spotted me, and sped off all at once leaving mud trails in their wake.  So, I knew the fish were in my area.  I prebaited the area and put my lines out.  I sat on the bank by my rods. Nothing happened for a while so I got up to recast my outfits.  As I stood up, swoosh, a bunch of fish right in front of me took off again. 
Time to go with a stealthy approach.  I casted my rods out again, and then put them on my alarms, but this time I sat about ten feet away hidden behind a bush. I couldn't see the fish, but they couldn't see me.  That did it.  About fifteen minutes later one alarm sounded and I landed a decent size mirror. I even landed a couple of more fish later on taking this stealthy approach.
Carp can be very touchy and skittish, especially on these bluebird sunny days. Sometimes it takes a stealthy approach to score on these days.  This is especially true when fishing "small" spots with shallow water where fish tend to hang out close to shore where you might be fishing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave, Matt here. You had mentioned Briar Pt. beach opens up in the fall. What would be an ideal time to go? Also, since the lake is stocked with trout, what should I use for bait since corn is out of the option?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fishing in that spot is only permitted in the daytime. On warm fall days you might find swimmers there which will kill the spot. You will be kicked out by the police after dark.
    Corn is prohibited in RI waters stocked with trout. In those places I usually use chick peas, doughballs or boilies in that order.
    Good luck in your fall fishing.

    ReplyDelete