Sunday, May 24, 2015

Back to Sweetcorn

This released carp was one of 9 carp landed today on
sweetcorn or sweetcorn/artificial corn fished on the hair rig.
I was in a bit of slump in the last few days.  It was a fish here, a fish there.  So, I checked back on my log from last year to see if I was doing anything differently. I found that I was using sweetcorn a lot more than I was using it this year in May.  In the last few weeks I have been using maize in combo with artificials. I went this route because of the pests like turtles, horned pout and suckers who would take off the bait. But, maize is far less effective than sweetcorn.
So, I went back to using sweetcorn today and the results were impressive. I was either using sweetcorn alone or in combination with artificial corn.  I did two short sessions today, three hours in the morning and two hours in the evening.  In that time I managed to put 9 carp on the bank up to 20 lbs. It was very good fishing, and I credit the sweetcorn for the success.
I will warn fishermen that if you use sweetcorn at this time of year you had better check your bait fairly often like every 20 or 30 minutes.  Several times today I found out I had no bait. I'm sure turtles and suckers were taking it off. But, when it stayed on, it was very effective.
If you are looking for some inexpensive but quality sweetcorn try "Double Luck" sweetcorn sold at Walmart. It sells for about 50 cents a can.

2 comments:

  1. Very good question and one that many RI fishermen are confused about.
    Very simply put......corn is legal in waters that are not stocked with trout. It is only illegal in trout stocked waters. You would have to get a list from DEM to find those waters that are stocked with trout. The reason being is that corn is not nutricious for trout. Only 2 states in the US ban the use of corn and we are one of them.

    ReplyDelete