Thursday, May 14, 2015

CAG Big 4 Tournament

This 26 + lb. mirror is my latest entry for the Big 4 Tournament.
I am currently competing in the national CAG Big 4 Tournament.  This is a "major league" tournament for members that runs in the months of April and May.  The idea is to enter your 4 largest carp taken in that period.  The weight total becomes your score.  There are prizes for the biggest common, the biggest mirror and the top three finishers in weight total.  Three times in the past I have won the prize for the biggest mirror.
My goal is always to try to come in the top ten overall.  This is very difficult to do because you are competing against some of the very best carp fishermen in the country. These guys are also fishing big fish spots.  Areas like New York, NJ, the Great Lakes and the Midwest will give up the majority of the real large fish, with commons sometimes reaching upwards to fifty pounds. So, I have little chance to crack the top three.
Last year I had a point total of 122 lbs. and that was good for sixth place overall.  I had a 40 lb. carp (winner of biggest mirror) and that helped to really boost my overall total. That 122 lbs., an average of over 30 lbs. a fish, was my best showing ever.
So far this year I am currently sitting at 106 lb., 8 oz. My smallest fish for the Big 4 is 25 lbs. while my biggest is 29 lbs. I figure I have to get up to about 110 lbs. to crack the top ten.  I'm hoping for that real big fish in the upcoming two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment