Friday, July 24, 2015

Grass not always greener on the other side of the fence....

Seven hours on the Merrimack
produced nothing. It took just fifteen
minutes to get this mirror in a spot
close to home.
I have been having marginal success here in RI for the past week since this warm weather arrived.  However, I was still catching a few fish.  So, yesterday I decided to try some "exotic" waters in MA in the hopes of hitting it big.  I went to the Merrimack River in northern MA and fished a couple of different locations.  Even though I was in some good spots where I caught lots of big fish in the past, I completely blanked.  In the seven hours I was there I did not have a hit and never saw a fish jump.  It was completely dead.  It just goes to show that in spots that you can not prebait you take a chance that it will be completely dead.
On the way home from the Merrimack, I hit a local spot that I had been prebaiting.  It would be dark in an hour, but I still decided to give this place a try. Within fifteen minutes, I had a nice mirror (see photo). Seven hours on the Merrimack and nothing, fifteen minutes in a spot close to home and a fish. This morning I decided I was not going far so I fished real close to home. In two hours I had 5 carp on the bank and lost another one.  Once again, this was a fishy spot that I baited and fished often so the carp stick around.
So, moral of the story here....the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. I do like going on adventures in some "exotic" spots, but sometimes fishing high percentage spots close to home does have its advantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment