Friday, February 23, 2018

Off to a BIG Start

I landed this nice fish today along with several others.  The
larger fish over 10 lbs. have been active in the last week.
I'm doing something a little different this year.  Rather than targeting small carp (which are most active in the cold water), I am turning my attention to bigger fish.  I'm hitting some of my big fish spring spots. And, it is really paying off.
In the last 4 days I have landed 12 carp between 10 and 16 lbs. while fishing short sessions.  These are not monsters, but they are certainly good fish in February. I feel it's only a matter of a time before I land my first 20 lber. of the year.
My rigging has been small which usually works out best in the cold water.  I am only using a #8 hair rigged hook.  On that hair rig are one kernel of sweet corn and one white, pop-up artificial corn. Earlier in the week I was going with this set up on one outfit and straight sweet corn on the other, but the fish would not take the straight sweet corn, so I am now using two outfits with the artificial and sweet corn combo.  In the past this has been really hot in the early going. I'm also using a small method ball packed around the sinker.
One interesting note.....I really scouted around today and hit several different spots.  To my surprise, one place in nearby MA had considerable ice on the pond. Yes, ice still exists in places north of RI, and I suspect northern RI even has a few places with ice.  So, it might be best to have a couple of spots in mind before heading out if you are not sure.
With warm weather coming in the next week, I suspect the fishing will continue to be good.


No comments:

Post a Comment