Sunday, December 16, 2018

December, the Wild Card Month

Here's a nice common that I landed today in some ice free
water.  This fish hit sweet corn fished on the hair rig.
I've had Decembers where I have caught only a few carp.  I've also had Decembers where I've caught hundreds of carp. I just never know what is going to happen in this wild card end of the year month.
No question, weather will play a big part in how the carp hit at this time. Severe icing and cold will shut things down.  Extended warm weather  will be just like fishing in early fall with lots of action.
Carp tend to bunch up in winter holes. It is difficult to find these spots in ponds and lakes.  Even if you do, there is no guarantee the fish will hit since they are somewhat dormant in cold ponds. Carp tend to be more active in the wintertime in rivers.  They simply have to keep moving in running water and that expends some energy.  Still, they will not always hit.  A few years ago I fished a small river spot on New Year's Day. I put out a pile of bait that I could clearly see in the shallow water in front of me.  Suddenly, I saw a group of about 5 carp  heading toward my bait pile and my hooked bait which was right in the middle of the freebies.  The carp just hovered above the bait and not one fish took any of the offerings. They were just not feeding in the frigid, but moving water.
So far, this December has been ok for me, actually better than November.  It's been a lot of changeable weather- warm for a few days, cold again , some icing, ice leaves, etc. I've tried to fish on the warmer or rainy days in which I am not skiing. I've been catching a few fish.  This month has always been the wild card for me and I figure any fish I catch are really a bonus.


No comments:

Post a Comment