Monday, November 18, 2019

On to Winter Tactics

The cage feeder is packed
with method and the hook is
loaded with sweetcorn. This
is a terrific set up for winter
carp fishing.
Here is one of many that fell for the cage
feeder set up in today's cold weather.
It's only Nov. 18 but the last few days have felt like January. The carp have a false sense, too, that winter has set in and they are acting like they do in January.  They are sluggish on the take and sluggish on the fight, but still hitting in ice free spots. 
I got out today with the intentions of hitting a small pond. No good.  The place I was hoping to fish was frozen solid. So, I quickly changed plans and headed to moving water. I broke out my cage feeders for the first time this year.  These are winter tactics at their best. I'm using an NGT 1 oz. cage feeder (sold at Big Carp tackle for $.95) for my weight and using just a #10 hook with a couple of pieces of sweet corn threaded on. No hair rig. It's all put together with light, ten pound test line. I packed my cage feeder with a method mix of oatmeal and crushed up bread. It all worked like a charm as I landed a number of carp in today's cold.
Cage feeders are ideal to use in moving water.  They release method gradually which attracts carp to your sweet corn.  Note that "takes" are often subtle, most often just bounces of the rod tip.  When the rod tip starts twitching, pull. A carp's metabolism is slowed in the cold water and rarely will you get those blistering, alarm screaming runs in the winter.
Winter fishing is here early this year.  I will continue these winter tactics in moving water in the coming cold months of December, January and February.


No comments:

Post a Comment