Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Pre Turkey Day Carping

I've been itching to go carp fishing in the last few days with this warming weather. I'm now in a transition period in that I am skiing one day (yesterday), still saltwater fishing for stripers (Monday) and still carping (today).  Ah, the beauty of New England!
This is one of ten carp landed today on this day before
Thanksgiving.  The warm weather got them hitting.
Today I found good numbers of carp that were really actively hitting.  But, my adventure did not start off well. Most of you know I like to move around, and today that is just what I did.  After poor results (2 fish in three hours) in my first two locations, I hit a third spot where I found the jackpot. Lesson here is that don't get anchored to one spot if nothing much is doing.
In an hour and a half I was able to bank 8 mirrors from 5 to 8 lbs. Nothing really big, but at this time of year any fish is good. I used two rods with two different baits.  On one I was using 2 kernels of sweet corn on a hair rig.  The other had one kernel of sweet corn along with a white, artificial corn on the hair rig also.  On both I was using small #10 hooks. No method.  Both baits seemed to work equally as well.
At this time of year, the opportune time to fish for carp are those warm days, especially when many warm days come in a row like what happened this week. This causes to water temperature to rise which gets the carp feeding in the cold months.
Happy Thanksgiving to my many readers, and good luck if you get out in the coming days.


No comments:

Post a Comment