Saturday, March 7, 2020

Catch of the Week

Weather-wise, it has been a warm week for early March.  Fishing-wise, it has been a hot week.  Our warming waters have put the carp in an active and feeding mood.  I got out multiple times this week.  My worst day was three carp; my best day saw twelve fish on the bank.
The catch of the week for me was a wild hybrid goldfish.  These fish do exist in the Blackstone River system in MA and RI, though they are not that plentiful. While many might think these fish are small commons, they are a bit different. Look closely at the photo below....hybrid goldfish have no barbels and they have a straight mouth that is in the middle of their head.  They also have much smaller scales than a common carp.  I landed the beauty below this week using one kernel of sweet corn and a white artificial corn on the hair rig.  I was also using a small method ball packed around my sinker.
Catch of the week for me was this wild hybrid goldfish.

1 comment:

  1. The season has started for me too. I fish the tidal Raritan River in NJ and after 5 blank sessions in a row, this past weekend outing had finally produced 6 carp. Have been reading your blog for years, good stuff. Enjoy the coming spring and be safe.
    Ivo

    ReplyDelete