Thursday, May 21, 2020

A Disappointing May

May is supposed to be a great month for carp fishing here in the Northeast. But, so far it has not been for me. Most Mays I can put about 100 fish on the bank with many large ones in the mix.  So far, I have landed a disappointing 17 fish for the month with most of them on the small side. And, I have been out trying just about every day.  I've seen very little activity (fish jumping, bubble trails, fish swimming by).They are just not active and not hitting. The other day I put a pile of bait in some clear water right in front of me. I saw several carp swim right over it and they never stopped to eat.
Here's a recent catch coming ashore.  Fishing
has been off big time in May so far here in RI.
Some of it I blame on the coronvirus restrictions.  Lots of lakeside spots that I normally fish are closed and off limits to fishing.  I have not tried to travel to MA and CT waters where I have scored well in past Mays because of out-of-state travel restrictions. In addition, the weather has been crappy.  It's been all over the place.  There have been lots of wind and cold nights with little of no consistency to the weather. 
So, I know from experience that carp fishing can suddenly turn around and go from bad to terrific.  It looks like we are getting into a more favorable weather pattern in the next week.  I'm hoping that will improve the fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment