Friday, June 19, 2020

In a Summer Pattern

Here is a nice mirror that I landed this morning.  Fish the cooler
times of the day for the best action.
We have quickly  moved into a summer pattern of carp fishing here in RI.  Most of the big females have spawned and it is unlikely we will see them again until fall.  Still, there are lots of other good fish to be had.
Key here is fishing the right times.  I have been fishing mostly in the morning up until about noontime when all the action seems to die out.  I've tried before dark with little success.  I know some fishermen who do well fishing late at night at this time of year.  You see, the carp seek a "cool" comfort zone at this time so it makes sense that the cooler times of the day, morning and night, would produce better.  Rainy days in the summer can also light up the fishing.
Another key is bait.  I have not been using a method ball lately because it is a big turtle attractor.  I am just going with the hair rig with a plastic artificial and one kernel of maize on  the hair.  Sometimes in the summer I might also just fish with one artificial on a small hair.  Turtles tend to avoid the plastic artificial but the carp will still hit it.
So, fishing is still going well for me, but I have also made the adjustments to summer fishing that have led to my success.

No comments:

Post a Comment