Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Monster Mirror Landed on a Mulberry!

I was unprepared for what I was about to experience.
I went out this morning to check out a new mulberry tree off the beaten path that I had discovered. I had no serious fishing equipment with me. When I found the tree last week no berries were dropping and no carp were around. So, I was going today just to look and see if any carp were there now.
When I arrived, I saw several carp feeding on a few berries that were dropping. The only rod I had in the back of my truck was a six foot telescopic rod in a backpack with a quality reel that held just 10 lb. test line. Oh well, I figured I would give it a go since I didn't want to waste time going back home.
I impaled a berry with the #8 hook that was on the line. Before casting I looked in the water to see if I could spot one of the feeders. Suddenly, a big head and mouth arose from the bottom to suck in a mulberry on the surface that had just dropped. I flipped my hooked berry right in that direction. It took maybe two seconds and the line was screaming off and I was on.
I knew this was a big fish from the sheer weight of it tearing off and the drag spinning to its breaking point..  Luckily, there were no obstructions and a drawn out see-saw battle ensued. 
Slowly, I got the fish in real close and knew that I had to really tire it out because I was hoping to grab it and hold it in the shallow water on shore. I had no net with me- yup, unprepared.  I made several grabs of the fish, a monster mirror, before I was able to secure her in the shallow water. With the hook just barely in her lip, I popped it off and watched the beast swim off.
I had no phone, no camera, no sling, no mat and no scale so no pictures of this beauty.
I've landed many big carp in the last ten years and have become very good at guessing their weights. I can tell you with certainty, that this monster mirror was 25 to 30 lbs. It is the biggest mirror that I've landed this year here in RI.

No comments:

Post a Comment