Friday, July 24, 2020

No Silver Bullet in the Hot Weather

I landed this common this morning.  The cool mornings have
worked out best for me in recent weeks.
This real hot weather has made for difficult carp fishing. The fish are around, but so are the pesty turtles.  I see carp moving around and rooting in the mud, but getting them to hit has been tricky. I want to really bait up the venues that I am fishing but I know full well it will attract every snapping turtle in the area.  I also would like to add method to my offerings, but that, too, attracts turtles.
So, lately, I have been going with just bait on the hair rig.  My best producer has been a small kernel of maize locked onto the hair with an artificial corn.  I've tried varying the colors and they are all working about the same.  I've caught using pink, orange and white artificials.  I've tried going with just artificial corn to avoid turtles, and that has not worked so well. It seems like the real thing with an artificial seems to be the most effective way to go for me.
Best time of the day for me has been before noontime. Once the sun and heat take over, the fishing really trails off.
So, no silver bullet at this time of year. Fish the cool mornings, get into a shady spot and hope a carp will make the alarm scream!


No comments:

Post a Comment