Thursday, October 1, 2020

Orange Pop-ups


 I discovered something interesting in the last couple of days.  I was fishing a body of water with poor water clarity.  I wasn't getting much on my white pop-up/maize bait combo bait offerings.  So, I looked around my bag for something which might get the carp's attention and stand out in this poor water clarity.  I found it! It was a pack of orange artificial corn.  I tried these a long time ago when I first started using artificial corn.  So, I set up one outfit with the orange artificial and the other outfit with my ole favorite white artificial corn.  In the two day stretch I landed 4 carp.  They ALL went for the outfit with the bright orange pop-up. The only thing I can conclude from this is that color orange is effective in stained water with poor clarity.

Color is an attractor in carp fishing and most of us will mix colored bait on the hair rig.  We know that white is a great overall color to use when using pop-ups. My second best color over the years has been pink. Orange is a wild card here and one that I plan to use in the future when fishing ponds and rivers with poor water quality.

This mirror went for a combo bait of
maize and an orange artificial corn (see
photo above) fished on the hair rig.
Orange has been an effective color in 
stained water.

No comments:

Post a Comment