Sunday, May 9, 2021

MONSTER Carp Landed

 

Unofficial state record of 38 lbs., 2 oz. released!

Yesterday I landed the second biggest carp I have ever caught in RI.  The beast topped the scales at 38+ pounds. That fish bested the official state record by over 5 lbs.

I wrote in my last post that this has been an epic week for me for catching large carp with many fish in the upper 20's.  But, yesterday's fish far exceeded all expectations I had about catching a large carp. This fish was not only large by RI standards, it was gargantuan!

I landed this fish on a combo bait of maize and a white artificial corn fished on a hair rig.  I was also using a method ball of oatmeal and bread packed around my sinker.  The fish hit with a screaming run.  Just after I grabbed the rod, the fish went on a blistering run, peeling off 50 to 60 yards of line off my Shimano baitrunner reel.  From then on, it was a back and forth battle.  The fish would take line, I'd gain a bit more. At this point, I knew I had a big fish. Once close to the net, I made several stabs at it as the fish would bolt away as the net came close. I prayed the hook would hold as it was just barely stuck in the fish's lip.  Finally, I had the prize in the net.  From there it was onto the mat, into the weigh sling and finally the weighing with my Reuben Heaton certified scale. Exactly 38 lbs., 2 oz.

This fish marks the 5th time I have broken the official state record of 32 lbs., 5 oz. Here in RI we have an archaic and far outdated means of establishing state fish records. In order to claim the record, you must have the fish officially weighed at a weigh station of which there are very few.  That means killing the fish and bringing it down to be weighed.  I've always refused to do this. In other more progressive states, they either have records for catch-and-release, or they allow a state record if you have a photo, a witness, a length and a certified scale. So, once again, another unofficial record was released to swim off and fight another day. A happy ending for all!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive carp! I’m an experienced fly fisherman (more salt than fresh) and am interested in trying the challenge of fly fishing for carp. I’ve been reading up on the subject. But what I really need to figure out are the best, most accessible places in the RI area where I can sight fish to them without constantly getting hung up in trees on my backcast. Maybe that’s too much to ask! Anyhow, I’d appreciate any suggestions that anyone would like to share. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many areas of the Blackstone river are wadable or have obstruction free banks. I see people wading in the Cumberland/Lincoln section fly fishing for them. Unfortunately, never saw anyone catch one on a fly.

    ReplyDelete