Sunday, June 20, 2021

Third Place Finish.....National CAG Spring Big 4 Tournament

Biggest carp, 38 lbs., 2 oz, a 
potential state record.

 I had my best numbers ever in the CAG Spring Big 4 Tournament and ended up in third place in this national event. This tournament featured 75 of the best carp anglers from all over the country. The event ran for three months, beginning on March 15 and ending on June 15. The idea was to enter your four biggest carp of the spring, and your poundage total became your point total.

I've entered this event for the last 15 years. The best total I could put together in the past was 124 lbs. This year I far exceeded my previous best total by 11 pounds.  My entries were all carp in the 30's- 38/2, 34/8, 32, and 30/6.  Added all up it came out to 135 lbs. For the third place finish, I won a $100 gift certificate at Big Carp Tackle.

The most exciting day of the tournament was the last day for me.  On the afternoon of June 15th, I managed to bank a 34 lb. carp that moved me from 4th to 3rd place overall. I never expected to land

Second biggest fish....34 lbs., 8 oz,
another potential state record.

such an enormous fish on a bluebird afternoon.

I changed strategies from previous years. Rather than traveling all over the place in MA and CT and fishing these big venues, I stayed right here in RI. Yes, I caught all these monster fish (two of which were potential state records) right here in RI, but in different locations.

I also made a significant change in baits. For the last two weeks of the tournament, I fished only with large boilies.  Boilies are known for luring large fish.  In that two week period, I had at least a dozen carp in the 20's and two in the 30's. The use of large baits (in this case, Carp Maxx coconut boilies) was a major factor in catching these big, post spawn carp.

No comments:

Post a Comment