Saturday, September 4, 2021

High, High Water Makes Fishing Difficult

 

My chair is actually sitting in the water along 
this flooded bank.  The shoreline bushes and
vegetation that were on dry ground several
days ago is now underwater.  It makes for
difficult fishing conditions.

Those flooding rains we had this week dumped 6 to 9 inches of water onto RI. It has resulted in very high flooding waters all over the state. That has been problematic carp fishermen. River fishing is out and even pond and lake fishing is difficult.

I've gotten out three times since the rain and it has been a fish here and there along with a blank yesterday.  In the places I have fished, the water is into the woods as the water levels rose about 3 feet in the last three days. All the vegetation and bushes along the shore are underwater in some spots.

So, how do you fish in those conditions.  Since most of the fish will be poking around the underwater vegetation near shore, I like to fish in real close, usually a flip cast away.  I also try to get into a spot where there are not a lot of obstructions in the water. I want to have a good chance to land a fish if I hook one. This morning I fished such a spot and came away with a nice 10 lb. mirror.

The flooding rains and resulting high water has not shut down the carp fishing here in RI, but it has certainly made fishing more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment