Sunday, May 29, 2022

Big Baits Effective Now!

 
Here is a "big bait" that
I used today to catch
the mid twenty pound
carp at the right. The
boilie is a homeade
15mm strawberry boilie.

We are in the post spawn period right now.  This is a time when big carp are
really feeding after doing little feeding in the spawn.  Last year at this time I switched tactics and went to larger baits which seemed to catch far more carp and bigger carp than the smaller baits. I'm doing that again this year and it is working, especially with carp over 20 lbs. Here are a few "big bait" ideas:

1. Boilie/ maize combo- I used a homemade strawberry boilie today along with a kernel of maize to nail a mid-twenty pound carp.  Boilies were really hot last year at this time. I landed several thirties last year at this time on boilies.  I will use 12, 15 and even 20 mm size boilies. Fruity flavors and coconut flavors are good.

2.  Snowman set up-  Many big fish sharpies will opt for two 12 mm boilies on a hair rig which is called a snowman rig.  Good idea to have two different colors and two different flavors. I have a friend who landed several twenties this week on a snowman rig.

3. Two quads- I have been writing a lot  about using Mainline Quads.  I have used two of them (different colors) to catch some decent size carp in the last week. A lot of buoyancy with the two quads.

Note that boilies can be purchased at online stores such as Big Carp Tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment