Saturday, December 3, 2022

Yes, they hit in December!

 

This is one of six mirrors landed on
this stormy December 3rd.

I had the perfect set-up today.  It was rainy (heavy rain), very windy and warm.  The key was that the temperature was sixty degrees.  And, when you combine all those things, it should mean that carp fishing will light up even in the winter. And, it did today.

I had been in a late November/early December slump.  The weather had mostly taken a dive in late November, and the plummeting water temperatures just about shut down the fishing. But, as typically happens, these sudden warm-ups seem to perk things up.

I had a banner afternoon in the rain landing 6 mirrors. I was using what I call winter tactics. Small baits ( one small kernel of maize and a small white artificial corn), small hooks, small sinker and no method.  I was also fishing a "small" place.  I like to hit small, shallow ponds or rivers in the wintertime since those places are easier to explore. They also tend to warm up faster on a warm winter day.

Note that the carp were very sluggish today as they are in cold water.  There were no alarm screaming takes.  It was just tapping of the rods.  On the fight, they were also sluggish. And, when I got them to shore, handling them was like handling fish packed in ice.  They were that cold.

So, in this winter period coming up, it will be a pick,  They will hit some days; other days they will not. Your best bets will be days with a warm up or days following a warm night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment