![]() |
| Here's a "hand size" carp that I landed today. Small ones tend to dominate the summer fishing. They are feisty and tend to zip around on the fight. |
I'm fishing many of the same places that I landed big carp in the spring. Yet, lately it has been mostly small ones. In the heat of summer smaller carp generally dominate the daytime fishing. I was out today for a few hours in the morning. I landed 4 commons. They were all under ten pounds with the smallest going about four pounds.
I will say that those small five or six pounders are really feisty and put on a show on the fight. They will generally run off the alarm on the hit and zip around as you battle them to shore. They are incredibly fast for their size unlike the big ones that can be heavy and slow while digging the bottom on the fight.
I continue to catch my fish on hair rigged maize and a white artificial corn. If you are going to fish for carp at this time of year, avoid a lot of bait like using a method ball. Turtles key on these big bait offerings and will not leave you alone.
