Monday, October 29, 2012

Catching During Hurricane Sandy

Yes, I was out fishing today.  As most of you know, I have made a career out of fishing in nasty weather in both saltwater and freshwater.  So, when I knew we were in for a real bad day with hurricane winds and driving rain, I just had to get out carp fishing.  The three largest carp I have ever caught (36 lbs., 36 lbs. 8 oz and 40 lbs. 8 oz) were all taken on stormy and nasty days.  I will tell you that carp just love this weather and usually go on a feeding binge during these events.
Today I was in a very safe spot to fish as safety is always a concern on these types of days.  In fact, the wind was at my back and I had a great view of the storm while watching my rods.  The rain was coming down horizontally in sheets and the wind was blowing the trees in the distance sideways as branches were coming down.
And, yes, the carp were hitting as I expected they would. The first fish I landed was a 12 lb. common.  Next, was a 20 lb. common (see pic at top right).  Next fish was the surprise of the fall for me.  It was a large mirror koi (see pic) that was a bright red with black spots all over it.  It was gorgeous, and this fish is only the second koi I have ever landed!  Finally, the day ended with a 21 lb. common (see pic at lower right).  All the fish fell for pineapple flavored Pescaviva fished on a hair rigged hook and fished ahead of an oatmeal based method ball.
Once again, I had yet another memorable day in some nasty weather.

1 comment: