Thursday, October 11, 2012

October a BUST So Far

I haven't been posting much this month because I haven't been catching much.  For the most part, the alarms have been silent in the beginning of October.  I've been out at least 7 or 8 times this month and have a grand total of 5 carp (although one fish was a large 22 lb. common).  Other RI CAG members have been reporting the same poor fishing.  This is not unusual for fall carp fishing here in RI.  I attribute this to the changeable weather patterns. Plus, it has not gotten really cold yet.  I suspect when nights start to dip into the thirties, the carp will suddenly get into a panic about feeding up for winter. I also suspect the rest of the fall will be streaky with good spurts of fishing here and there but for the most part, inconsistent.
I was spoiled last fall as I found some fantastic fishing that lasted throughout the fall.  Last year I was able to catch about 100 carp a month in September, October and November for a total of 300 fish.  Those are phenomenal numbers.  However, when I looked back over my logs of past years, I find that I averaged about 100 fish in total during those three fall months. That's the reality.  It's just not that good in the fall.  However, I also know that fall is a great time to land the fish of a lifetime, and that keeps me trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment