Thursday, April 30, 2020

Not Always Good

This good size mirror, landed today, was my only carp in the
last six days.  Persistent cold weather has taken its toll.
I was on a roll in April until about a week ago.  Then, everything went downhill.  I tried a number of locations and different baits, but I was able to put only one carp on the bank in the last six days.  A friend of mine suggested that maybe the carp were practicing social distancing or doing the stay at home thing. Seriously, this has been real poor fishing for me.
I blame the weather for the lousy fishing.  At this time of year, dropping water temperatures are not good.  A lot of cold rain, cold nighttime temps and cool, windy days, has caused the carp to go into a funk.  Additionally, I have not been able to fish many of my April hotspots.  Some places are closed off to fishing due to corona virus restrictions. Some of my places in MA and CT are off limits to RI residents. And, high, high water in the Blackstone River due to rains have prevented me from fishing some of my river spots.
Still, I managed to bank 90 carp in April, a bit above average for me in April, so things are not all that gloomy. The key here is to stick with it as carp fishing, like the weather, will change in the warming days ahead.
Good luck if you get out and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment