Friday, July 16, 2021

Back to Maize and Artificials; Best Bait of Summer?

 

Check out this combo bait of maize
and a white artificial corn on the hair 
rig. This has been my hottest bait 
of the last couple of weeks.

My experimenting with big baits (boilies) lasted a few weeks, and in that time period I caught a lot of big carp.  But, gradually my ole standy bait of maize and a white artificial corn on the hair rig began to outfish the boilies. So, I'm back to using that bait, and I have been catching decent amounts of carp in the last two weeks considering we are in the doldrums of summer. I've gotten numbers as well as big ones with several fish in the twenties.

Maize is just a real convenient bait.  It's cheap so you can prebait a lot of it.  The carp also really go for it.  I buy my maize at Tractor Supply.  It's marketed as "whole corn" and comes in a dried state.  A fifty pound bag will cost you about 10 bucks.  

Here's how I prepare it.  Put it in a large pot with water and let it soak overnight. In the morning I will put it on the burner and wait until the water boils.  Then, set the stove timer for exactly 35 minutes. Once finished take it off the heat and let it sit a while to soak up water.  Next, I pack it into zip lock bags and pack it in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment