Monday, August 29, 2022

300th Carp for 2022

My 300th carp of the year was a good size 
common.  This has been a year of "big carp" 
for me.

 It took me a while to get there but I landed my 300th carp of the year this week. While I don't have the big numbers this year, I do have the big fish.  It's August and already I've gotten more carp over thirty pound and more carp over 20 lbs. than I've gotten in most years.  It's really been a "big fish" year for me and I have been really targeting the bigger fish with a variety of bigger baits. I've also been focusing on big fish venues.  In those types of places you are going to catch bigger carp but far less of them that you would get elsewhere.

This past week has been particularly effective for bigger fish.  That massive rain even that we had a week ago that dumped four to six inches of rain really got the big fish in high gear.  It also dropped the water temperature 10 degrees in one spot that I was fishing along with raising the water level a solid foot. In the last week I have managed to land 9 fish over 20 lbs. with the biggest going 26 lbs. That can happen in the spring and fall but numbers like that are rare in August.

Many of the smaller venues that I like to fish for smaller carp have been inundated with invasive weed this year, and many of these places are unfishable. That has really affected my numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment