Monday, August 8, 2022

Double Header Chaos

Today's double header is secure
in the net which sits in the water.
Both fish were in the 14 to 15 lb. 
range.

 It's probably the most chaotic moment in carp fishing.  One rod alarm sings off, you grab the rod and you are onto a fish.  Suddenly, the other alarm screams away, and you are quickly fighting two fish at the same time.  It's the double header in carp fishing, one of the most exciting and chaotic events you'll find in any kids of fishing..

I experienced the double header chaos today.  I was fishing a spot which had not produced in a while.  After an hour without as much as a twitch, one alarm suddenly screamed off.  I grabbed the rod and was onto a decent fish that was peeling off line at a frenzied pace. While trying to gain a little line on the fish, the other alarm suddenly sounded. I awkwardly tried to stick the rod with the fish on in between my legs while grabbing the runner with my hands.  Now, I was onto two fish at the same time and both were peeling off line. I've been down this road many times in the past.  Do a little reeling with one rod while the other is between my legs.  Then switch off and do the same with the other. Try to get at least one fish in the net as soon as possible.  I did just that and once one fish was in the net, I was free to fight the other.  Finally, I had both carp in the net.  These were decent size fish, with both in the mid teen range.

Today's double header was child's play compared to my most memorable double header I ever landed which happened many years ago on a stormy rain day.  After a much more memorable battle I had those two fish in the net. When I got a closer look, I could not believe my eyes. The smaller of the two weighed 31 lbs., while the larger one tipped the scales at 33 lbs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment