Sunday, August 22, 2021

Tropical Storm Henri Delivers

A 25 lb. carp sits in the net in the water in
the pouring rain.  Tropical Storm Henri 
delivered good numbers of carp today.

 Yes, I did fish today in that wind and rain from Tropical Storm Henri. Like every other time in the past that I have fished in these stormy events, it was very good.  I fished in a location that I had been fishing on and off for the last three weeks.  In those three weeks, I have not gotten a carp over ten pounds.  Yet, I was barely in the spot a half hour when the alarm sounded, and I knew from the fight I was onto a good fish.  Turns out the fish weighed 25 lbs., really big by RI standards and the biggest fish I have landed in weeks. My day followed with 3 small ones and another decent fish that was just shy of 20 lbs. Indeed, the storm lit up the fishing. Again!

The conditions today were brutal.  At times the wind was probably gusting over 50 miles per hour and the trees in the distance were swaying and bending to the breaking point. The wind driven rain was coming down sideways in sheets.  As miserable as this was for the fisherman, the carp loved it.  I saw many big jumps in the white capped water, and I had many other bangs and hits (guessing after the method ball).

I was using a combo bait of maize and a white artificial pop-up corn along with a method ball packed around my sinker. I'm guessing a boilie would have also done the trick as the carp were aggressively on the feed in this charged up weather. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Been trying to explore fly fishing accessible carp waters in the area. Been checking out the Blackstone Canal areas and recently the woonsquatucket I'm north Providence and Manton area with no luck. Wondering if you saw any good flats that would be sight fishable?? Any advice would be a huge help. I haven't tried wetting a line yet, just been scoping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This question has come up many times over the years and I know many have tried. I know of no one who has been successful at consistently catching carp on a fly in RI. Some guys try while fly fishing for trout along the Blackstone River in Cumberland and Lincoln. Some tell me they see them in the flats there but they can not catch them. Heck, these fish are tough to catch on bait! Good luck

    ReplyDelete