Thursday, December 15, 2011

Switch to River Currents Pays Off

Unless we have a real warm spell, I am done for the year with fishing in  ponds and lakes.  I blanked my last two outings in ponds so it was time to look elsewhere.  In the past at this time, I have done much better at fishing oxygenated river currents where the fish are far more active.  These are spots that have deep but moving water.  Places below a waterfall are ideal places to try.  Of course, moving water does present some problems.  Foremost, you might have to increase you sinker size to hold bottom.  You might also encounter more snags since river currents are always moving around trees, branches and junk.

My move to river currents paid off today as I landed 6 mirrors  and 2 commons in an afternoon of fishing (see photos).  They were not large fish, but they were very active.  Hopefully, they will continue to cooperate since I plan to fish river currents all winter long.

1 comment: