Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Water Temps in the Upper 30's....End is Near

Things have suddenly slowed down on the carp front.  I've blanked two days in a row and have seen no activity.  Water temps are now in the upper 30's and skim ice is forming at night in close to shore and in puddles.  The end of pond and lake fishing is near here in RI. Credit the cool weather of the last few days and the cold nights in the 20's for the slowdown.  In the past I have not  been able to catch carp when the water temperatures in ponds and lakes drop below 38 degrees.  Rivers currents are a different story.  If you can find deep, moving, oxygenated water that holds fish, they will hit just about all winter long.  The challenge is finding these spots.  In most rivers, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack in 30 degree weather. So, I'm not quite ready to give up my pond and lake fishing, but I'm realizing that barring a heat wave, the end of the season is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment